Monday, September 15, 2008

women have changed; men are changing

I'm so glad we women are not just blaming men for all our problems any more. When that became a mantra, we allowed ourselves to slip into magical thinking instead of facing problems in a larger context. We are growing up as women into adulthood, and now our men are facing bravely a new world that we must allow them to help define if we are to work together toward the best that we can build for ourselves and our children.

My family celebrated my birthday at a buffet that allowed the kids to choose their own platefuls -- and they did a good job for the most part. Lots of vegetables. I sat waching them interact and laugh, and then my daughters giggling together, and then my son-in-law Bill (Adam was at work). Both of these men, as well as my son living in the Midwest) are so different from what my father would have defined as "manly" but are stronger and more tender and more compassionate for that difference. Their children do not fear and tremble in their presence. They are strong enough within themselves not to need to demand sovereignty. They work with. My children and their spouses work as teams, and I am grateful.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home